Neti Yoga

Ashish Chandra ramkisno at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Sep 13 08:48:04 CDT 2002

On Thu, 12 Sep 2002 23:05:55 -0400, Jaldhar H. Vyas
<jaldhar at BRAINCELLS.COM> wrote:

>On Thu, 12 Sep 2002, Ashish Chandra wrote:
>
>> Then why does every Amnaaya matha trace its lineage (implying the lineage
>> of the philosophy itself) to Bhagwan Narayana? You seem to be saying that
>> Advaita is what Adi Shankara said it was when even he himself said he was
>> was reasserting the message of the eternal Vedas.
>>

>*sigh* is this going to be another of these threads that goes around in
>circles?  The Mathas do trace their parampara from Shri Narayana
>_through_Shankaracharya_.  Who do you think founded those mathas in the
>first place?

So Advaita did not exist before Adi Shankara? Or that people were not being
liberated before him? Or that this aspect of Upanishads did not exist
before Gaudapada? The founding of these Mathas is fairly recent. Do you not
know that our Dharma is Sanatan? This knowledge has always existed and if
Adi Shankara was had not been born, this knowledge would have still existed.

>I repeat, there is no alternative Advaita lineage other than
>Shankaracharyas.

Who is talking about lineages? Did I not say in my last email that people
who do not follow Adi Shankara's lineage but follow saints do not care
about whether or not their lineage is connected to Shankaracharas? Then why
are you putting words in my mouth?

>> I am not going to do any word dissection.
>
>Like Lewis Carrolls Humpty-dumpty you think words mean whatever you want
>them to mean.  Thus it is pointless to talk to you and pointless for you
>to try and learn anything.

Well, coming from an ADMIN of this list, this remark is failry surprising.
But just to be sure, I looked up the Capeller's Digital Sanskrit Lexicon
for the word Advaita. Advaita comes from Advayatva and Advayatva means non-
duality, unity. Nowhere does it mention it is related to Vedanta or it
means Advaita Vedanta. I am equally willing to look up the Sanskrit-Hindi
Shabda Kosha by Vaman Shivram Apte and find the meaning of advaita. Why
don't you provide some reference where it says that Advaita means Advaita
Vedanta.

>I'll say this one last time.  Saying several approaches are valid doesn't
>imply every approach is valid.  Saying several approaches are invalid
>doesn't imply only one approach is valid.

ashish