Lakshmi Narayana Temple Pratishta

Lakshmi Srinivas lsrinivas at YAHOO.COM
Mon Sep 9 09:48:20 CDT 2002

> > But I am not clear if construction, consecration of temples and the
> > execution of rituals therein have been addressed. For example, does it
> > make any sense at all to say that X temple follows advaita or Y agama is
> > accepted by advaitins?

> Actually, it doesn't! I am not even sure there are standardized rules
> about temple construction and consecration that would be applicable
> across the whole advaita tradition. There is much room for local
> variation.

> As for saying X temple follows advaita, I would not say that unless the
>  said temple is completely under the management and control of an advaita
>  lineage.

> Vidyasankar

Vidya,

I think this discussion has got unduly sidetracked. (pace Vaidya Sundaram).
I append my original question and your (Sri Vidya's) response above.

My point was that since performance of vaidika ritual is formally relegated
to the realm of vyavahara, in what way is temple related activities a
strict part of advaita tradition? I refer of course to the well known
dictum 'vyavahaare BhaaTTah, paramaarthe zaamkarah'.

Thanks in advance,

Lakshmi Srinivas