Soma in Vedas

Vidyasankar vsundaresan at HOTMAIL.COM
Sat Sep 7 19:03:55 CDT 2002

>Namaste,
>
>My guess is, keeping it "som" would give it a mantra like
>dynamic character. Adding "a" and making it "soma" imparts
>stability making it suitable for use in a language.

May I make a suggestion here?

It would perhaps be useful to resist the temptation to make our own
"mantra-s" with each and every possible word. If one is interested
in mantras for whatever reason, it would perhaps be more useful to
first listen to what the traditional teachers of mantra-s have to
say. Some basic study of Sanskrit grammar would help too.

Best wishes,
Vidyasankar