role of rationalism

Steve Wray steve.wray at PARADISE.NET.NZ
Tue Oct 29 12:56:47 CST 2002

I am reminded of the passage in Isa Upanisad
(I am unsure as to the transliteration method
used on this list so I will do my best...)

Verse 11:
Vidyam cavidyam ca yas
tad vedobhayam saha
avidyaya mrtyum tirtva
vidyayamrta asnute

I have no Sanskrit as such, but I've been over this
with a glossary and various translations and the true
meaning of this passage is of particular interest to me.

But it appears to say that with non-intellectual
pursuits (I imagine faith alone?) one can transcend
repeated death and by pursuit of intellectual understanding
one can enjoy the state of deathlessness.

It would appear that in order for the exercise to be fruitful,
one would need to combine these (apparent) contradictories?