discussions on advaita

Vaidya Sundaram vaidya_sundaram at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Oct 24 17:44:29 CDT 2002

Namaskaram.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Subrahmanian, Sundararaman V [IT]"
<sundararaman.v.subrahmanian at CITIGROUP.COM>

> While I appreciate the spirit with which you say I am afraid that it might
> not help.  The reason being that what paramaachaaryaH has expressed is not
> an emotional sentiment of compassion but something that requires
> understanding.  It is important to "understand" how advaita is able to
> accept all other theories and still remain vindicated and not negated.
And
> for somebody to say so, one has to know advaita very well.  The statement
> was the culmination of deep/proper understanding.  If we have to feel the
> way paramaachaaryaH feels, then we should understand advaita as well as He
> did.

Yes. You are right. That thought was at the back of my mind but I guess the
written email did not carry it through. And another thought behind me
sending the earlier note was that we seem to get caught up in all sorts of
arguments and counter arguments in this list. I think we must each do our
home work well and understand the other's point of view before we start
contracdicting and be able to have a balanced argument.

> was the culmination of deep/proper understanding.  If we have to feel the
> way paramaachaaryaH feels, then we should understand advaita as well as He
> did.

And yes, one definitely needs to understand advaita the way our acharyas did
all the way upto Sada Shiva Himself. If we don't even try, then we might as
well say we are not really what we read and write about, but just imposters.

bhava shankara desikame sharaNam
Vaidya.