discussions on advaita

Vaidya Sundaram vaidya_sundaram at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Oct 24 12:15:49 CDT 2002

Namaskaram.
 I am struck by the all encompassing statement of our acharya when he says
the following: (snippet from the most recent weekly page from Hindu dharma:
We need all types of knowledge). I think all of us would immensely benefit
by constant repeating to ourselves this as if it were a mantra!
=
 Advaita embraces even those sastras that apparently do not speak about it.
That is why I am speaking about all such sastras though I am called
"Sankaracarya". Non-dualism inheres dualism, qualified non-dualism, Saivism,
Vaisnavism and so on. It enfolds even those systems that are critical of it.
Advaita does not state that other systems are totally false. If it opposes
them it is only to the extent needed to counter their argument against
itself. It concedes them the place they deserve.
=

I am also reminded about an analogy given by Shri Krishna Premi in one of
his discourses (I paraphrase here) - "the true seeker is like the bee after
honey in the flower. The bee flirts with many flowers all the while
enriching the flower and giving something in return without damaging it in
any way. In the end it collects all the honey and makes it even sweeter" - I
think all of us engaged in discussions and the pursuit of the Truth can do
this too!

bhava shankara desikame sharaNam
Vaidya.