Indra and Vrtra

Thu Oct 17 01:52:51 CDT 2002

Today was Ekadashi and I try and read from the Bhagavata on such days.
Thanks to the list members I had an interesting topic to study.

Srinivas Gadkari wrote:

> vRtra was the Asura killed by Indra using vajra. This event
> is celebrated in the Rg veda. It has been pointed out that vRtra
> is the name for the glaciers of the last ice age. (I have seen this
> mentioned by David Frawley.)

David Frawley is another one of those kooks who conjure up fantasies out
of a "vedic" hat.  This is also demonstrably false.  Not only is there no
support from the bhashyas of any Acharya (though they do mention another
natural phenomenoas I will explain later) it is a geological fact that the
Ice Age never got as far south as India.

Shrikrishna Ghadiyaram wrote:

> This is an interesting question. But, I do not know if there is any subtle
> meaning for all the accounts of the Purana apart from being accounts of
> the past.

There always is though it may not be immediately discernable.  Let me
start by narrating the story as mentioned in the 6th skandha of Bhagavata
Purana.

Daksha Prajapati had 60 daughters to were given in marriage to various
Gods and Sages.  Of those, Aditi and Diti were the wifes of Maharshi
Kashyapa and the mothers of the Devas (thus also called Adityas) and
Daityas respectively.  Apart from the fact they eternally quarrelling
there is not a lot of difference between the Devas (some of whom have less
than sterling qualities like Indra in this story) and the Daityas (some of
whom are quite good e.g. Bali, Prahlad.) Yet we call the Devas "Gods" and
the Daityas "demons".  Why is this?  The names of the mothers give a clue.
Aditi is "Infinite" and Diti is "Finite"  The infinite is worthy of
worship not the finite.  The Daityas had a sister called Rachana who
became the wife of a Prajapati called Tvashta or Vishwakarma who made
various marvellous creations such as Vishnu Bhagawans' Sudarshan Chakra,
Yamas' danda, Kuberas' palanquin, etc.

Once Indra and His Devas had achieved a great victory over their enemies
and were celebrating in Heaven.  Their acharya Brhaspati walked in but
Indra did not notice and didn't get up to pay His respects.  Acharya
Brhaspati took offense and left.  Only then did Indra notice and though he
belatedly expressed his apologies, it was too late.  Brhaspati had
disappeared.

On learning that the Devas were spiritually defenseless, the daityas
renewed their attacks and the Devas suffered defeat after defeat.  The
devas resolved to find a new Acharya and on the advice of Brahmaji, chose
Vishwarupa the son of Tvashta.

This Vishwarupa was also called Trishiras on acount of his three heads.
One constantly drank soma, one drank wine, and the third stared as if to
drink up the sky.  (some variants of the story say the third head ate food
constantly.)  He became the purohit of the Devas and taught Indra the
famous stotra called Narayana kavacha by which the Devas once more became
victorious.  However Vishwarupa felt a certain sympathy for his maternal
relatives too and secretly began giving the Daityas a share of the yajna.

When Indra heard about this, he became extremely angry and immediately
cut off Vishwarupas' three heads.  From the first came the birds called
kapinjala, from the second, birds called kalavimka, and from the the
third, the birds called tittira.  (Sorry, I don't know the English names
of these species.) Although he was in the right (Vishwarupa had
transgressed a Brahmanas' dharma by double-crossing his yajamana,) the
fact was Indra had murdered a great sage.  So he was afflicted by the sin
of brahmahatya.  For a year He roamed around unable to bear the terrible
burden but finally he was able to get rid of by giving it to earth, water,
trees and women.

When Tvashta heard of the death of his son, he resolved to get revenge on
Indra and he created a monstrous demon called Vrtra sworn to be the enemy
of Indra.

[to be continued]