Rules of aachamanam
Subrahmanian, Sundararaman V [IT]
sundararaman.v.subrahmanian at CITIGROUP.COM
Tue Oct 15 15:19:45 CDT 2002
The following are the rules that need to be observed while performing
1. One should sip water "3" times to perform aachamanam
2. The amount of water taken for sipping should be only the size of pea.
One should not consume more just because it feels comfortable or quenches
3. Water that contains foam/bubbles/suds ("nurai" in Tamil) is unfit for
4. aachamanam should be performed only with cold water and not with
warm/hot water even if it is uncomfortable to the throat.
5. Scents/flavors should not be added to the water meant for performing
6. aachamanam should be performed only in sitting posture and should not be
7. One should not perform aachamanam facing the south.
8. aachamanan should not be performed in unclean places.
Source: "kurai onrum illai" (pp 277) in Tamil by Sri Mukkoor Lakshmi
More information about the Advaita-l mailing list