darbha

Srikrishna Ghadiyaram srikrishna_ghadiyaram at YAHOO.COM
Wed Oct 9 15:00:41 CDT 2002

Hari Om !!

I feel unhappy to see the interpretations of ice-age
etc. for the story of Vritra. These wild maginations
are of no help to heart or head. Can anybody link
atleast a few words from the Rigveda to the speculated
story of Vritra connected to ice-age ?  I guess, the
RigVedic sages knew the words for 'ice', well enough.

Based on the Book VI of Srimad Devi Bhagavatam, here
is the account of Vritra:

Tvasta is another name for Viswakarma, who is the
architect of the Devas, and a Brahmana, and a great
tapasvi. He had a son 'Trisirsha (Trisira) Viswarupa'.
He was a great acetic, and performed very very severe
tapasya. With one of his head he would recite Vedas,
with the other he would drink nectar, and with the
third head he would see all the quarters. Afraid that
Trisira would usurp his position owing to his tapasya,
Indra killed the Trisira engaged in Tapasya. This was
a great sin of Brahmahatya and he paid dearly for
this. Viswakarma becoming very sorry for his noble
son's death, performed a great sacrifice and 'Vritra'
came out of the fire. He was like a mountain,
unconquerable. As this powerful son of Viswakarma was
to save him from his troubles (Vrijina), he named his
son 'Vritra' (Vri-Tra).  Viswakarma created very
powerful armour with his tapasya and asked his son to
avenge Indra. Owing to the sin of Brahmahatya of
Indra, and the might of Vritra, Indra along with other
devas, lost the battle and ran away.

On the suggestion of Viswakarma, Vritra performed
severe tapasya invoking Lord Brahma and obtained a
boon that he would not be killd by iron or wood, and
by dry or wet weapons.

Owing to the power of Vritra, the devas ran away and
suffered very much. They prayed to Lord Vishnu, and
Lord Vishnu asked them to wait for some time.  With
the negotiations of the sages Vritra agreed to be a
friend of Indra and started spending his time in
tapasya, trusting Indra. Viswakarma cautioned his son
that Indra was not to be trusted. But, as if his time
was nearing, Vritra treated Indra as a friend and
forgot all enimity with the devas. But, Indra was just
waiting for a time. The devas prayed to the Goddess to
help them restore the power and position and She
blessd them.

On one evening when Vritra was lone at the ocean side,
Indra thought it was the best time to kill Vritra. He
prayed to Lord Vishnu and Lord Vishnu entered in
subtle form into the Vajra of Indra (which was made of
the bones of Dadhichi). Maha Maya entered into the
foam of the waters,foam being not dry or wet. The foam
covered the Vajra. When struck by such a Vajra, Vritra
was killed.

For this treachery of cheating and killing a friend
Indra spent a long long time in the stem of a lotus in
the Manasa lake. The story continues .....

Om Namo Narayanaya !!

Srikrishna