ekaadashi tithi nirNaya

Ravi miinalochanii at YAHOO.COM
Sat Nov 30 13:33:37 CST 2002

If you search the web with keywords ekadashi and viddhi, it will lead you
to vaishhNava sites explaining how they base their observance of
ekaadashi.

My little understanding on this matter is from the book "saMxepa dharma
shaastram" -- as a name indicates is condensed version of vaidyanaatha
diixitiyam. Please note, I could be wrong in my undestanding.

1. A tithi is called shuddha when it starts from sunrise and runs 60
ghaTika-s. But this does not happen always.

2. Conjunction or link between two tithi-s is called vedhaa. For
instance prathama could have a vedhaa with either amaavasya and/or
dvitiiya. Typically if  the previous tithi extends for 6 ghaTika-s
after sunrise then the current tithi is called viddhi. Similarly at the
end.

3. On determining ekaadashi -- smArta-s are OK if at the time of
sunrise the tithi is ekaadashi (there are few more rules are based on
some special circumstances such as va~njuli dvAdashi etc.)

4. For vaishhNava-s now comes additional complexity:

a. 4 ghaTika-s before sun rise is called the period of aruNodaya.

b. If the first 0.5 ghaTika of this period has dashami then it is
called vedha.

c. If the first 1 ghaTika of this period has dashami then it is called
ativedhaa.

d. If the dashami occupeies the entire period (just giving away  a
second or two before sunrise) then it is called mahaavedhaa.

e. vaishhNava-s do not accept if the tithi has ativedhaa or mahavedhaa.
This is based on texts like pancharAtra aagama etc.

f. This is fundamental difference between smArta-s and vaishhNava-s.

5. For smArta-s, we consider it as vedha only if dashami is at sunrise
and not otherwise.

ativedhaa mahaavedhaa ye vedhaas-tithishhu smRtaaH |
sarve.apyvedha vijheyaa  vedhas-suuryodaye mataH ||

6. Summary of this run

a. if there is dashami at the sun rise period then that ekaadashi is
not suitable for smArta-s

b. If there is dashami during the aruNodaya period then it is not
suitable for vaishhNava-s.

7. This is only a gist of it -- there are some more rules :-(( based on
how dvadashi comes etc.

To get more thorough explanation you should post your question to Yahoo
Group sv-rituals on how they observe ekaadashi. They have great
scholars like Dr. V. Sadagopan on these lists, who have all-round and
indepth knowledge of their sampradaaaya.

Thanks.

Ravi

1 ghaTika is 24 minutes (in Tamil we call it naazhikai) and 2 ghaTika-s
make 1 muhuurtha. A day or vaasara in our system is from sunrise to
sunrise. It has 60 ghaTika-s,  with 30 ghaTika-s to day and 30 to night.
On a equinox a ghaTika will have 24 minutes of modern clock time.