Indra and Vrtra

Vaidya Sundaram Vaidya_Sundaram at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Nov 14 17:22:38 CST 2002

namaskaram.
 I was just referred to a book that would seem to completely turn on it's
head our understanding of world history - atleast to me. The book is called
"Fingerprints of the Gods" by Graham Hancock. I have not finished it yet,
but once I start reading it, it is hard to put down again!
The reason I refer to that here in this thread, is because of the reference
to the discussion of ice ages and the previous civilizations. The
introductory chapters of this book discusses maps produced in the medival
world, which by all recognized standards today are authentic. These maps
(proclaiming be copies of even older maps) clearly show in great detail a
land which had at that time (early 1500's) not yet been discovered. That
land is shown with it's mountains, rivers and other features with great
accuracy of longitude and lattitude. That land mass was later discoverd and
is the present day antartica. What is amazing is that these maps show the
"sub glacial" topography of the region! This is very indicative of a period
when that region of our globe was not under the ice caps' but also
indicative of a culture that had precise map making techniques including the
mathematics to do this. There is a lot more such history presented in the
book - true, one has to take it with a pinch (or more!) or salt, but ...
 All I wish to say here is that one must not jump to conclusion that the ice
ages forming or breaking down are referred to as such in the vedas albeit in
the form of puranic stories of battle between two forces of nature ... May
be it does, but may be it refers to a real event of a battle between two
individuals too!
 On a tangential note, if you wish to try and correlate the vedic statements
(or some of those) to present day scientific analysis, I would also suggest
a book called Vedic Physics (which I have not finished either!:)) - it comes
highly recommened to me as well ...

bhava shankara desikame sharaNam
Vaidya.