Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj

kuntimaddi sadananda kuntimaddisada at YAHOO.COM
Thu Nov 7 06:10:44 CST 2002

--- "Jaldhar H. Vyas" <jaldhar at BRAINCELLS.COM> wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Nov 2002, Bob Holt wrote:
>
> > I am reading a book of transcripts of conversations with Sri
> > Nisargadatta Maharaj called "I Am That". What is the reputation
> of Sri
> > Nisargadatta Maharaj within the Advaita-Vedanta community? Is he
> > well-regarded?
> >

> I get the impression he is more the darling of New Age types.  A
> person
> who was interested in Advaita Vedanta could spend his time more
> profitably
> elsewhere.

"I am that' by Nisargadatta Maharaj is one of the beautiful books I
studied and I use it for meditation purposes. A chapter in the book
is enough for me to contempate on the truth.  Nisargadatta Maharaj
was in par with Bhagavaan Ramana Maharshi.  The book is not of the
type that one should just read but one has to contemplate on it to
see what has been pointed out.

He was one of the greatest souls of India.  But to get any benefit
out of the book, it is important to have some clear understanding of
advaita vedanata.  Then only you can see the beauty that is sprinkled
in every chapter of that book.

Wish you best of luck.

Hari OM!
Sadananda

=====
What you have is His gift to you and what you do with what you have is your gift to Him - Swami Chinmayananda.