Indra and Vrtra (fwd)

Bhadraiah Mallampalli vaidix at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Nov 5 00:35:54 CST 2002

Namaste,

I am interested in the etymology of vRtra. The suffix tra means protection.
gaayatri is one who sings and protects. Just a speculation, extending this
logic vRtra may be one who encircles and protects. Any help is welcome.

Going by above etymology: I wonder why vRtra is an asura if he is a
protector? Or his protection may be of dubious value because by enveloping
he may keep us constrained to a shell. I am speculating that his protection
may also be from too much knowledge of non-duality that one can not handle.
In any case tackling vRtra is indra's prerogative, not our problem most of
the time (needless to say except for that fraction of a second when we take
the form of Indra).

Best regards
Bhadraiah