Advaita and the Gita

Somik Raha somik at YAHOO.COM
Wed May 29 23:14:35 CDT 2002

Jaldhar H. Vyas wrote :
> >          Three other interpretations of the Gita which you may find
useful
> > are by Abhinavagupta, Madhusudana Sarasvati and Sri Aurobindo.
>
> Note, of those three only the middle one was an Advaita Vedantin.

Hmm - I have been trying to comprehend Madhusudan Saraswati's commentary
"Gudartha Dipika" for over a year now, but I find it really hard when he
goes into some very complex and big explanations comparing different
philosophies - and he particularly proves the Sankhya philosophy as
invalidated in various places...

I'd read couple of other Gitas before this one, and almost all the previous
ones had commentaries from the Bhakti approach - which was so much easier to
comprehend and lighter to read. Perhaps, this is what you mean when you say
that the path of jnana is a tough path.

I liked the one particular Gita published by the Ramakrishna Mission as they
had nice stories associated with most slokas(but actually the Gudartha
Dipika that I am now reading is also published by RK Mission).

Would you recommend any books to be read which would make it easier to
understand Gudartha Dipika ?

Regards,
Somik