Any query......

Srikrishna Ghadiyaram srikrishna_ghadiyaram at YAHOO.COM
Tue May 28 22:28:52 CDT 2002

Hari Om !!

--- Vivek Anand Ganesan <v_ganesan at YAHOO.COM> wrote:
> Hello Srikrishnaji,
>
> Coming to the South, we eat rice, rice and more
> rice. Plus,
> pickles floating in oil, coffee with cream milk, add
> ghee
> to even normally healthy food such as dal and rice
> etc.
> How is any of this healthy? It is no wonder that
> upper-caste
> vegetarians in India have one of the highest
> incidences of
> diabetes, blood pressure and other diet-related
> diseases.

I just want to address the above point, leaving aside
other issues of your mail.

Your sentence should have been upper-income
vegetarians than upper-caste vegetarians.
(first of all some people are fighting over this
upper-caste word on this same e-mail list
incidentally).

You might know that RICE is one of the least harmful
carbohidrates, and supplies plenty of calories for all
our needs. Ofcourse Wheat will be better because it
has higher protein content than Rice.

Diabetes, blood-pressure related problems are not
caused by the regiment of diet you have mentioned
above. (I am not a doctor). If one does really have
the regiment of diet mentioned above they will
probably not have food related deseases. It is only
imbalance of those variety foods in a meal that may
cause some physiological troubles on the long run.

It is my opinion that the vegetarian food habits of
south Indains are still the best practiced, in
general.  Ofcourse, if one has a specific health
problem, a special diet needs to be recommended. You
must also consider how much of unaccounted work every
person does just to accomplish minimal daily duties,
unlike in the US or other affluent countries.

Om Namo Narayanaya !!

Srikrishna