Concept of personal God and Advaita

Venkataramani K. venkataramanik at AOL.COM
Fri May 17 12:51:35 CDT 2002

Dear members,

At least 2 of the Upanisads that I have read, Isa and Svetasvatara,
describe the ultimate Supreme as a personal God. Also, Srimad Bhagavatam
describes the Supreme as a person. On the other hand, Advaita vedanta
considers Nirguna Brahman as Supreme and the concept of form has any
relevance only so far as the structural world is considered, that is only
as Saguna Brahman. Even that seems to manifest due to maya.

How does Sripad Adi Sankara deal with the above 2 upanisads and SB? In
general, how does the advaita vedanta school reconcile with the concept of
personal form as highlighted as Supreme in these works? I have seen in some
writings of Kanchi Paramacarya where he quotes from SB. What is the
position accorded to SB by advaita school? Is it considered on par with
shrutis as is done by some vaishnava schools, especially Gaudiya
vaishnavas? Or is it considered only as a path to realizing the Brahman?

Please note that I am a beginner so far as knowledge goes. Please feel free
to correct me, if my understanding in the above paragraphs have been faulty.

Thank you and regards,
K.Venkataramani