Advaita and Trika system

nanda chandran vpcnk at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue May 14 22:25:05 CDT 2002

>Why vivartavAda? It seems to me that ajAtivAda should be
>the correct characterization of adhyArOpa-apavAda
>doctrine of advaita. Is vivartavAda the correct term?

Ajaativaada or the doctrine of no-origination is taught by Gaudapaada in his
Kaarikaas - logic is very similar to Naagaarjuna's - since neither birth nor
death, origination nor destruction can be logically proved - the world is
like a city of Gaandharvaas - an illusion (maya).

So changes that we see in the world are unreal (mithya) and appearance
(vivartha) only.

The world itself seen without the lens of causality (ie without conceptual
constructions) is Brahman.

Vivarthavaada is the natural corollary of ajaativaada.