Why svarga and naraka exist

Tue May 14 10:54:28 CDT 2002

> there is one pertinent
> question in my mind : when we say "without his wish not a blade
> of grass moves", then how do we have a "naraka"?
> (the line i refer to is : thena vina trunamapi na chalathi).

Actually that line doesn't necessarily suggest "without His wish," it says
"without Him".  brahman pervades even the grass and the wind.  The
difference is those things have no consciousness, they can only act
according to their nature.  For higher beings like humans, there is also a
certain nature but we have the capacity to reflect and change our actions.
This can be good or evil and based on our choices we gain either svarga or
naraka.  It is our actions that determine the course of our lives, we
cannot blame Bhagawan for it. If we reflect further still we come to
realize that the rewards or punishments caused by our actions are the
transitory and motivated by desire.  By giving up desires we can reach a
final state where there is no more being tossed about from heaven to hell
and back again.