Samartha Ramdas

Swarna Venkateswara Swamy truthseeker123x at YAHOO.COM
Tue May 7 19:32:28 CDT 2002

 Dear Member,
Thanks for a nice mail giving an important message in the form of an episode from the life of the great Saint Samartha Ramadas, who was worshipped as the incarnation of Maruti (Sri Anjaneya). One message which comes through is that Karma may at best remove one's sin, but God's name can make us truly immortal. I feel Sant Ramadas did that (hitting the birds etc.) with a view to teach the Brahmanas a valuable lesson.
Thanks again.
  Venkatraman.Chandrasekaran at NOKIA.COM wrote: Dear Members,
In a upanyasam recording (Sri Muralidhara Swamigal on aksharamaNamaalai),
the swami passingly talked about an incident in Samartha Ramdas's life. Ramdas
is said to always keep lot of stones by his side and used to hit any object that
he sees. Once he kept hitting birds that flew past him one by one and put them
in a bag. Some braahmaNaas who came that side exclaimed with shock "what
sort of gnyaani are you, doing such paapaas? let's do praayaschittam for you".
So they said and did praayaschittam. In the end Ramdas asked the brahs. "what
happened to the birds? why didn't they come back alive?" The brahs. said "the
karmas that we did will only remove your sins. but won't save the birds". In response
Ramdas said "behold my form of praayaschittam". So said, he uttered Rama nama
and made all the birds fly back.
Does anyone have more details about Samartha Ramdas life aspect in this
context? I am aware gnyaanis are the least comprehendable. But I would appreciate
if anyone could shed some light on this incident.

Thanks,
chandrasekaran.

in search of truth and with prayers to Govinda to help reach  that goal in this life itself, and with best wishes to you that your goals may be reached,

yours sincerely,