Kashmiri Shaivism

Ashish Chandra ramkisno at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon May 6 08:31:51 CDT 2002

On Mon, 6 May 2002 04:25:22 -0400, Shrinivas Gadkari
<sgadkari2001 at YAHOO.COM> wrote:

>Namaste Ashish,
>
>I mentioned earlier that no claims are being made that my
>understanding represents KS, Advaita or any other school.
>
>Repeating what has been said earlier, Mukti is acquiring
>knowledge that would enable the Jiva to destory its suffering.
>Implementation of this knowledge is yoga.
>
>Can a Jiva fall again ?
>Yes if there is lapse in yoga. There are accounts in the
>Puranas to support this view.

Namaste Srinivas,

However, if you claim that the jiva can fall again, then this certainly is
not the Advaita position. For jiva to attain mukti is to rid itself of
avidya. Once the avidya is gone, there is no danger whatsoever. Otherwise,
all this striving for mukti would be pointless. For a jiva to be in a
constant state of yoga would imply that there is always such a *thing* as
jiva and that there is such a thing as a *state of yoga*; we have already
negated the "brahma satyam jagan mithya" declaration.

Could you give some examples from these Puranas wherein a liberated one
fell again into bondage.

>The Being in the state of Ishvara creates and in the state of Jiva
>experiences the creation. Network of attachment belongs to Jiva and
>the effect of this is Ishvara creating conditions that makes Jiva
>suffer.

But where is this creation taking place if we go by the pAramArthik view?
Brahman, as we know from Vedanta, is Ekameva-advitIyam, one without a
second.

>Intent implies attachment and that in turn is the seed for more
>suffering. So certianly intention is ruled out.
>
>Is it not possible to rejoice without intent ?
>Yes it is possible.

However the question would be why a perfect one would need to rejoice, with
or without intent. Then we can no longer call It the perfect one as It too
has states of rejoicing and non-rejoicing, the latter being a not-so-
perfect state.

thanks
ashish