parents and marriage

Hemant reachhemant at ETH.NET
Sat Mar 30 01:00:43 CST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Prasad Balasubramanian" <besprasad at LYCOS.COM>
To: <ADVAITA-L at LISTS.ADVAITA-VEDANTA.ORG>
Sent: Saturday, March 30, 2002 4:03 AM
Subject: Re: parents and marriage

> [...]
> at vyavahaarika level is not making sense to me and I'm not able
> to avoid mixing up things at vyavahaarika and paramaarthika level.
> Kindly comment on my thinking. I cannot get iron ornaments to
> my Mother by any chance though : (
>
>  Extending this concept, how are  wife ,daughter , son and
> father different ? If they've to be different, Am I not taking into
account
> some maya-ic parameters ?
>
> Prasad Balasubramanian Wrote:
> -----------------------------
>  If people
> > belonging to the same gOthras themselves cannot get
> > married , then
> > what about the fact that all the rishis are
> > (from) one single
> > brahman ? In which case how can getting married be
> > justified ? Is
> > this a reason why elders advise that we shouldnt try
> > to figure out
> > the rishi mUlam ?
> >
> kuntimaddi sadananda Wrote:
> ---------------------------
> <<I think you are mixing up too many things here.
> Sagotram is not advised only considering the fact that
> they are comes from the same gene structure.  It is
> one way it was recognized in olden days to avoid
> getting married with the same genes. By that you get
> better off-springs.
>
> All is Brahman is a fundamental postulate.  Similar to
> all life forms evolved from unicellular living
> entities.  But  that does not justify getting married
> to monkeys and dogs etc. I am just giving an extreme
> analogy. The substratum is the same for all - the
> assemblage is different for each.  Since the marriage
> is in the realm of vyavahaara, it is important to
> recognize what combinations are compatible from ones
> cultural and traditional point.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>
> I think I might find answers myself If I understand
> the vyavahaara and paramaarthika. I've another question
> with the absense of understanding of the above two.
> Should vyavahaara sathyam and its sphere of reference be
> considered and taken into account always by the seeker ?
> Will a liberated soul still differentiate a humanbeing
> as wife and daughter ? Though that liberated soul
> cannot eat garbage but only edible food.
>
> kuntimaddi sadananda Wrote:
> ---------------------------
> <<Not inquiring about Rushi muulam is advised form
> differnent perspective.  This is becuase every saint
> was a sinner in the past.  By giving importance to the
> past one looses the correct perspective of the
> greatness of the saint on hand.  One can study his
> history and learn from that if he could evolve, there
> is also chance for me to evolve too.  But otherewise
> digging ones past will hinder ones learning from his
> sat sangh.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
> Thank you for the explanation.I've a good understanding of this now.
>
> namaskaaram (with confusions) : )
> Prasad
>

> See Dave Matthews Band live or win a signed guitar

http://r.lycos.com/r/bmgfly_mail_dmb/http://win.ipromotions.com/lycos_020201
/splash.asp

> See Dave Matthews Band live or win a signed guitar

http://r.lycos.com/r/bmgfly_mail_dmb/http://win.ipromotions.com/lycos_020201
/splash.asp

Namaste All,
           Analogies are a device to illustrate an aspect of the Brahman.
They cannot exhaust the Brahman in its totality and transcendence. But here
we find people pressing this or that analogy with a literal and scholastic
insistence.
Sankara says "vAco vibhanti nikhilA yadanugraheNa" when referring to the
Brahman.By Whose grace words shine, let us put our sraddha in That alone.
                 with best regards,
                                 alakha niranjana,
                                       Hemant