Advaita : Some Basic Explanations - 6

hbdave hbd at ddit.ernet.in
Thu Mar 28 02:58:07 CST 2002

Srikrishna Ghadiyaram wrote:

> Hari Om !!
>
> --- hbdave <hbd at DDIT.ERNET.IN> wrote:
> >
> > Dear List Memebrs,
> > Here is posting no. 6.
> > Best to all.
> > -- Himanshu
> > > Advaita : Some Basic Explanations - 6 (Brain)
> >                                                 --
> > Himanshu

> > In my past potings I have used the word "brain" to
> > denote
> > the activity that takes place in the physical brain
> > of a
> > person. We are not concerned very much about the raw
> > or
> > anatomical brain (though everything takes place
> > there), but
> > more with the *logical*, i.e., working aspect, the
> > actions
> > of its various components and their results. In
> > other words,
> > when we say "brain", what is meant (in these
> > postings) is the
> > functional brain, what the brain is doing.
> >

> While the posting makes an interesting reading, I am
> afraid that what has been taught in the Vedanta
> regarding MIND as subtler than Gross body is deviated
> in your posting, by referring it as "Brain activity".
> even if were to accept these views, it still does not
> explain the sub-conscious and un-conscious MIND rather
> Vasana/Samskara theory which shape even our thoughts.

No, it is not so. All activities, upto Anandamaya Kosha
occurs in the physical brain.
There is no other "higher level" vehicle.
Vedant very carefully calls the Chetana found in
Ahankara etc. due to reflection of Atman. It is compared
witha mirror. Just as ones face is reflected in a mirror, the
Chetan of Atman is reflected on the Chit, i.e. the
intelligence of the brain. Intelligence is a "mechanical"
behaviour.

> We might study the brain waves and pulses under
> certain thought conditions, but the reason for these
> thoughts is not explained by this "brain activity".

True, but manomaya, vijnanamaya and anandamaya koshas
are defined over physical (logical) brain.

> Similarly, your definition of "Brain Activity" +
> Reflection of consciousness theory does not seem to
> fit the model of Ahamkara. Is there a location for
> Ahamkara for your EEG therory and study ?

No, that is not what I said or meant.

> I am afraid
> that you are comparing things of two different realms
> here.

No, I am not doing that.

> How can I compare essence with the bulk ?

You are confusing between the  information/knowledge
and medium through which it is conveyed/handled.

> Or do we redefine our model of Pancha Kosas as
> increasingly subtle ?

Please read through my (or any other) description of
five Koshas carefully; you will realize that the complete
hierarchy of five Koshas is basically concerned with
acceptance/delivery of data (what is k.a. Anna in Upanishads)
interpreting the data in form of information and absorbtion/
integration of information in form of knowledge.
Over which medium this is done, is not given directly in
Vedanta.

What each kosha is doing is abstraction/summary of the
ascending information and detailing/developing of the
descending information.

> Please comment.

PLease see the attached note for further details.

> Om Namo Narayanaya !!
>
> Srikrishna

Answers for posting no. 8 will be taken up next!
Best wishes,
-- Himanshu