kaangEya : meaning?

Venkatraman.Chandrasekaran at NOKIA.COM Venkatraman.Chandrasekaran at NOKIA.COM
Mon Mar 25 20:07:47 CST 2002

Actually there is a tamizh krithi (carnatic song) of Papanasam Sivan
in which the pallavi goes like "kaarthikEya kaangEya gowri tanayaa".
As you said the second word should refer to Subramanya (and not Shiva as I
mistook it). Then it should be "gaangEya". I have heard people singing
it as "kaangEya". I am not sure about this.
But please tell why Subramanya is called as "one who was born of river
Ganga"?

Thanks,
chandrasekaran.