Question about Varna

ravi chandrasekhara vadhula at YAHOO.COM
Fri Mar 22 12:23:24 CST 2002

Dear Jaldhar,

Thanks for your input.  Being a Brahman myself, in our
family we often hear comments such as " conduct not
becoming of a Brahmin".  But as you stated caste/varna
doesnt change with conduct,e.g. there are "bad
Brahmans".  But this brings up another interesting
situation.  A late uncle of mine (through marriage)
underwent all the samskaras for Brahmans but didnt
perform sandhya-vandana, didnt always wear his
yagnopaveeta, and consumed meat and liquor.  But upon
his demise, another relative who had his upanayana
performed his last rights.  His son was ineligible to
do so, as he hadnt undergone his upanayana yet.  So my
question is, do Brahmans who transgress certain
shastric rules still eligible to undergo samskaras
etc. e.g. is a beef-eating Brahman allowed to undergo
Brahminic samskaras ?

Pranam, Ravi Chandrasekhara MD

http://www.braincells.com/shailaja/