Advaita : Some Basic Explanations - 13 (The last)

Shrinivas Gadkari sgadkari2001 at YAHOO.COM
Thu Mar 21 20:22:28 CST 2002

On Fri, 22 Mar 2002 05:44:33 +0530, D.V.N.Sarma <narayana at HD1.VSNL.NET.IN>
>Dear Sri Gadkari,
>
>First of all the question here is what Sankara has said
>and I think that has been made clear in my quotation
>of Sankara.
>
>Next thing is your claim that Sri Dave has improved
>on Sankara and avoided a serious error.

Namaste Shri Sarma,

Let me make it very clear that my intention to
join this forum is not to take someone's side or
prove any point.

My intention is to clarify for myself those
concepts that I am not clear about.

And, if possible help others from falling into
traps that I have encountered.

>If koo.tastha
>is the  saak.si residing in maayaa and is
>indestructible and puru.soettama is brahman,
>where is your nonduality? Does not this make
>jiva permanent? As a matter of fact dualistic
>schools interpret koo.tastha as jiva.

For me kshara purusha, akshara purusha and uttama
purusha are different states of being. Since there
is only one being and that is Self, to me this is a
non-dual viewpoint.

>About the claim that puru.sa must be a conscious
>being, I do not think that gita is using the word puru.sa
>in that sense. Gita is catagorising all that is there
>into three parts namely k.sara puru.sa, ak.sara puru.sa
>and puru.soettama. This includes conscious as well as
>unconscious parts.

If you are content with this understanding, I have
nothing more to add.

Best regards
Shrinivas Gadkari