[Fwd: Sabda - Bhartrihari]

Shrinivas Gadkari sgadkari2001 at YAHOO.COM
Mon Jul 15 13:40:46 CDT 2002

Namaste Shri Daveji,

Thanks for your response. The attached text file somehow is
still not visible. May I request you to post it again. Thanks.

Regarding your observation on r and nasal sounds, I would
like to add the following.

If we look at the consonants, the last eight, namely:

y  r  l v
sh Sh s h

seem to have a special place. It is interesting to note that
these consonants do not have the fifth nasal sound in the row.
I would like to suggest that the corresponding nasal sounds
for these consonants are:

y r l v (deep humming sound)
S sh s h (silence)

This is not a speculation but based on observation. The nasal
sound for each row of the consonant table can be obtained by
nasally pronouncing the third consonant in the row.

e.g. nasal b gives m, nasal d gives n, nasal D gives N, ...

Best regards
Shrinivas Gadkari