Sabda - Bhartrihari

H.B.Dave hbd at ddit.ernet.in
Thu Jul 11 03:16:35 CDT 2002

Shrinivas Gadkari wrote:

> Namaste ShriKrishnaji,
>
> Thanks for the information you have been providing
> on books. I will keep an eye on these books.
>
> I do intend to keep discussion on this topic
> alive. However duration between postings might
> be long partly due to time constraints and
> partly due to the nature of study involved.
>
> May be I will take this opportunity to ask if
> any list memebers can shed some light on shiva
> sutras of panini. These are 14 verses with a
> peculiar arrangement of vowels and consonants.
> ($$$)
> Thanks and best regards
> Shrinivas

I had posted the following a few days back, but some how it
did not appear on the List.

1.    ($$$) Please see the attached text file.

2.    It is interesting to note that many of the names of Gods and
messiahs, some of which are used in nama-Japa, contain "r" sound.
For example : Krishna, Rama, Rahim, Christ, Raghu, Brahman,

It happens that  "r" sound has a frequency component arround
10 Hz, which happens to be Alpha frequency of EEG. This has
considerable significance in efficacy of a mantra (a word as an
antrument to deal with mind). Similarly, the sounds of Nasal
group (m, n, .n, etc) are also very effective.

3. Indian Mantra and Tantra experts have done considerable
work in these lines. For those interested, I would recommend
the classic "ParaTrishika Vivara.na" by Abhinava Gupta,
the English translation by Jaidev Singh is available.

Best Wishes,
-- Himanshu