Relationship of Advaita Vedanta to other religions

S Jayanarayanan sjayana at YAHOO.COM
Fri Jul 12 09:43:09 CDT 2002

--- Vivek Anand Ganesan <v_ganesan at YAHOO.COM> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> --- Sri Jaldhar H. Vyas wrote:
> > of interpreters of the Vedic religion.  He allows
> > measure of diversity
> > in its' forms but where non-Vedic religions are
> mentioned
> > (Buddhism,
> > Jainism and even "Hindu" sects such as Bhagavatas,
> > Samkhya/Yoga etc.) it is in a negative way.
> I am curious to know more. Is he just criticizing
> their
> views with regards to the Agamas being superior or
> at least
> equal to the Vedas or is he denying the validity of
> the
> Agamas themselves?

In his upadeshasaahasrii, Shankara says to the effect,
"Let no one touch these writings [of Jains and
Buddhists]". He also refutes the Jain and Buddhist
positions in his Brahma suutra Bhaashhya.

> And, there is another question
> that has
> always bugged me - if the smArthAs are the "real"
> vaidhIkas
> then why are they not called vaidhIkas, why
> smArthAs?

A person who follows the dharma laid down in the Vedas
is called a "shrauta" (follower of shruti).

A person who follows the dharma laid down in the
dharma suutras (e.g. Apastamba dharma suutra) is
called a "smaarta" (follower of smR^iti).

A smaarta is also a follower of the Vedas, but
indirectly so, his chief dharma shaastra is the
smR^iti.

This is what I could gather from HH
Chandrashekharendra Saraswati's book "Hindu dharma".