Shiva sutras

ken knight hilken_98 at YAHOO.COM
Wed Jul 10 09:21:05 CDT 2002

Namaste Jaldhar,

Glad to to see Shailaja is blooming.

> The name
> Shiva or Maheshvara sutras coms from the tradition
> that Panini heard them
> from the sounds of Shiva Bhagavans' damaru (drum.)
> The 14 sutras are (in
> ITRANS format):
>
> aiuN | R^iL^ik | eo~N | aiauch | hayavaraT | laN |
> ~nama~NaNanam | jabha~n |
> ghaDhadhaSh | jabagaDadash | khaphaChaThathachaTatav
> | kapay | shaShasar |
> hal ||
>
> Sounds like gibberish right?

I spent a week, many years ago, chanting this each
morning with some people and could never get my tongue
or memory to cope with  'khaphaChaThathachaTatav' but
was able to end with a triumphant 'shaShasar'.  The
trouble was that the people leading the group had no
idea what it was all about so most of it had nestled
back into the dusty areas of memory but this morning's
mail stirred the cobwebs.
Do you know of the source text for Panini...or anybody
else.....hearing these from the sounds of the damaru.
Laksmana Jee(joo) does talk about hearing via the
string as the highest, through the drum next and the
spoken word beneath that. I find that interesting and
would like to get at some authoritative texts.

Thanks for putting this into ITRANS as I was being
lazy about that,

Happy fathering

Ken Knight