Shruti and logic

D.V.N.Sarma narayana at HD1.VSNL.NET.IN
Thu Feb 28 05:55:50 CST 2002

On 26 Feb 2002, at 12:21,  nanda chandran wrote:

> >From gauDapAda kArika, SankarA's introductory commentary
> >to Chapter 3 i.e., advaita prakaraNa.
> >
> >advaitaM kim AgamamAtrENa pratipattavyam AhOsvit tarkENApi
> >ityata aha - SakyatE tarkEnApi  j~nAtuM; tatkathamityadvaita-
> >prakaraNam ArabhyatE....
> >
> >Swami NikhilAnanda's translation.
> >
> >Now it is asked whether nonduality can be established only by
> >scriptural evidence or whether it can be proved by reasoning as well.
> >It is said in reply that it is possible to establish nonduality by
> >reasoning as well. How is it possible? This is shown in this chapter
> >of Advaita.
>
> But the thrust of the chapter is something else - it is about how the
> individual soul can be the same as other souls - like space in jars.

In the logic of advaitins there are six means of valid knowledge
(pramANa). 1. pratyaksha (perception), 2. anumAna (inference)
3. Agama (scripture) 4. upamAna (analogy) 5. arthApatti (accepting
a conclusion in order avoid absurdity) 6. anupalabdhi (non-
occurrence as a proof of non-existence).

In advaita prakaraNa the fourth pramANa upamAna is being used.

regards,

Sarma.