Tat tvam asi?

hbdave hbd at DDIT.ERNET.IN
Wed Feb 20 00:33:09 CST 2002

nanda chandran wrote:

> >If that=92s so then why does Shankara still assert that in the ultimate
> >moment liberation is only possible due to divine grace?
> >---------
> >
> >Can you give the reference for this quote?
>
> Ravi, I wanted to write to you earlier with the exact references, but have
> been travelling and hence do not have references at hand. But this I can
> tell you : there are two such references that the removal of avidhya is
> effected only by divine grace. One is in Shankara's commentary on the Brahma
> Sutras and the other is in his commentary on the Katha Upanishad.
>
> Maybe others can help here?

Is it commentary on Katha (1-2-23) ?

{\skt naayamaatmaa pravacanena labhyo na medhayaa na bahunaa "srutena | }
{\skt yamevai.sa v.r.nute tena labhyastasyai.sa aatmaa viv.r.nute tanuu~nsvaam
||}

{\skt ni.skaamasya aatmaanam eva praathayata aatmanaivaatmaa labhyate iti
artha.h |}
The meaning is : Only on  praying to Self by the nishkama, the Self is
achieved  thro' Self.
-- Himanshu