gaNesha stotram (fwd)

Sat Dec 28 15:01:38 CST 2002

According to the Ramashrami on the Amarakosha.  Vinayaka comes from vinaya
with the meaning to hinder or block. vi (opposite) + naya -- to lead or
flow.  Compare the more common noun meaning of vinaya -- morality or moral
instruction.  However it does also list the definition you gave soI guess
they are both correct.

Interestingly, Amarakosha also gives Vinayaka as a name of the Buddha
(probably in the sense you mentioned.)  One of the three divsions of the
Buddhist shastras is clled vinaya pithaka.  It deals with regulations for
monks.