Gayatri - Info

Mon Aug 19 08:51:44 CDT 2002

On Thu, 15 Aug 2002, Shrinivas Gadkari wrote:

> Namaste,
>
> I have recently discovered some facts about the Gayatri mantra
> and was wondering if list members would have access to more
> information.
>
> It seems the standard Gayatri mantra
> "tat savitur vareNyam
> bhargo devasya dhImahi
> dhiyo yonaH prachodayat"
> is placed under a curse. When we obtain this mantra
> during the thread ceremony (upanayana) is the curse
> removed ? Any more information available on this ?

Whenever I do a full japa of Gayatri, I recite the three shapavimochana
mantras. The Gayatri is under three
curses:

1. The curse of Brahmaji

Gayatri is the daughter of Brahma but He lusted after Her.  As a result
of this primordial incest the creation was marred by evil.  He cursed Her
and She in return cursed Him not to be worshipped.

2. The curse of Maharshi Vasishta.

I  wasn't able to find out the details of this one.

3. The curse of Maharshi Vishvamitra.

He was a Kshatriya who wanted to become a Brahmana.  When his efforts
failed he cursed the Gayatri mantra out of frustration.