Gayatri - Info

Shrinivas Gadkari sgadkari2001 at YAHOO.COM
Thu Aug 15 12:04:24 CDT 2002

Namaste,

I have recently discovered some facts about the Gayatri mantra
and was wondering if list members would have access to more
information.

It seems the standard Gayatri mantra
"tat savitur vareNyam
bhargo devasya dhImahi
dhiyo yonaH prachodayat"
is placed under a curse. When we obtain this mantra
during the thread ceremony (upanayana) is the curse
removed ? Any more information available on this ?

Also there is an additional verse of 8 letters
making it a 32 lettered Gayatri. Is 32 lettered Gayatri
for a slect few ?
Any more information on the 32 lettered Gayatri that is
not considered "classified" information ?
(Until recently I had not even heard about the 32 lettered
Gayatri).

Thanks.

Best regards
Shrinivas Gadkari