upAdhi

Wed Aug 7 00:29:46 CDT 2002

On Mon, 5 Aug 2002, vidya jayaram wrote:

> Shri.Jaldhar has given the right example and explanation however the
> following statements confused me as the first line seemed to be a
> definition of visheshana. "UpAdhi means the distinguishing or defining
> lakshaNa (characteristic of a thing.) For instance if we are talking
> about a red crystal, redness is the upAdhi beause redness is what
> seperates it from a blue crystal, white crystal etc. " This is
> especially in light of the usage of the two terms and the explanations
> given in the vedanta paribhasha as to their differences.

Actually after your last post I was worried I had it backwards myself.
But I think my explanation is ok.  Let us assume we have three objects of
one type and one of another i.e.

(a b c) (d)

What seperates the group (a b c) from (d) is the vishesha lakshana.  But
what seperate a from b _or_ a from d is an upadhi.  In the case of brahman
all upadhis are illusionary because it pervades a b c and d.

> What exactly does dharmarAja adhvarIndra say about the mind and the
> witnesses - jIvasAkshin and IsvarasAkshin ? Could someone explain the
> portion beginning with "taccha pratyaksham punardvividham etc"?

Personally, I don't have that work.  If it is not to long, could you post
the relevant passage here?  I can look at it next week.