Are GODs just symbolic ???

Subrahmanian, Sundararaman V [IT] sundararaman.v.subrahmanian at CITIGROUP.COM
Thu Aug 1 13:55:33 CDT 2002

Dear Srikrishna Ghadiyaram,

Ok. I take back my first 2 paragraphs.  I wrote it in a haste to stem the
trend of successive postings that (I felt were) casting aspersions on him.
In a quieter frame of mind, I can say:  Maybe you (and others) were right.

Regards,
SVS

PS:  He is NOT my guru, by the way -;)

-----Original Message-----
From: Srikrishna Ghadiyaram [mailto:srikrishna_ghadiyaram at YAHOO.COM]
Sent: Wednesday, July 31, 2002 11:36 PM
To: ADVAITA-L at LISTS.ADVAITA-VEDANTA.ORG
Subject: Re: Are GODs just symbolic ???

Hari Om !!

--- "Subrahmanian, Sundararaman V [IT]"
<sundararaman.v.subrahmanian at CITIGROUP.COM> wrote:
> Dear Sri. SriKrishna Ghadiyaram,
>
> Before I proceed I request you not to be hasty in
> lifting quotations from
> speeches and transplant them elsewhere and try to
> find
> meanings/justifications.  The Swami whom you quoted
> was a PhD in Chemistry
> and PhD in Sanskrit before he became a Sanyasi.  He
> is a well read person.
> Your best bet to get a clear answer about what he
> said is to ask him
> yourself.  He is normally in Hyderabad and he visits
> US once a year for a
> few months to teach in PA, USA.

First of all, do not think that I have to "lift"
quotations out of place. I have nothing to prove. I
only need more inputs from others to makeup my own
mind. I do respect the Swami's knowledge in Sanskrit
and Vedas. It has been of great help to me as I
listened to a few of his lectures. But, it is not
necessary that I accept whatever I hear, right ?? You
also know that scholarship in Chemistry is of no
particular advantage for Advaita knowledge, except for
makingup an understanding intellect of aparavidya.
Many 'uneducated' people grasp Advaita intuitively,
right ? I remember, "Devi Mahatmyam" calls this
Sattvic intelligence, by classifying intelligence
itself as Sattvic, Rajasic, and Tamasic.

Yes, I would ask him directly, when I feel more
comfortable to deal with it. At least, I have heard
him enough on this subject that I only need alternate
inputs.

>  He may reveal higher
> Truths after some degree of
> maturity on part of the disciple.

The problem is that the present teaching is that there
are no Gods, and that is the higher teaching.