Study of Vedas

Ashish Chandra ramkisno at HOTMAIL.COM
Sun Apr 14 08:08:29 CDT 2002

On Sat, 13 Apr 2002 13:11:46 -0700, Srikrishna Ghadiyaram
<srikrishna_ghadiyaram at YAHOO.COM> wrote:

>This question is based on your limited interpretation
>of the word Dharma. If your interpretation is the only
>correct one, then what does it mean to say, "Dharmo
>rakshati Rakshitah" ? Should we infer as "Karmo
>Rakshati Rakshitah" ?????

It means that Dharma will protect us only if we protect (follow) dharma.
But why do we need protection from Dharma? To what end is that protection
sought if not liberation, whether we realize it or not? So how can there
still be need for a dharma in a state of liberation, which is the state of
a jivanmukta?

>> As a
>> rhetorical question, we can logically ask whether a
>> Jivanmukta is to follow
>> any dharma. The answer would be no, IMO.
>>

>Again this is based on your limited interpretation. A
>Jivanmukta is always abiding in His Dharma. As a
>rhetorical question, we can logically ask what is the
>Swarupa of a Jivanmukta .

Brahman is the swarupa of a jivanmukta, as it is of you and me. Only
difference is that the Jivanmukta abides in it, is fully absorbed in it.
Does Shankara not ask "Ko Varnaashrami bhavet" of one who has given up all
desire of this world and the next and desires liberation only i.e.
sannyasi? Then how is it logical to ask about a self-evident fact?

>What is the Dharma of Sugar ? What is the Dharma of
>wind ? So, also what is the Dharma of a Being ?
>
>As sugar can not be without being sweet; as wind can
>not be without motion, and mixed up with the smells it
>carries, a Being can not be without its Being.

???

>Just as wind carries and remains in motion without
>being tainted with the fragrance it carries, we should
>remain in our Swadharma of Sat-Chit-Ananda Niranjana
>etc.. moving with the worldly duties.

If swadharma be the same as our swarupa, why is it that man should seek
the chaturvidh purushaartha - dharma, artha, kaama and moksha. Since
swadharma *is* moksha, why would it be a separate purushaartha?

>So, please expand your definition of Dharma.

Yo Dhaaryati iti dharma.

>You are so much looking for mechanisms that it will
>require some changed thinking so get away from
>dependence on Karmakanda, in its narrow sense.

Our rishis certainly did not think karmakanda was unavoidable. Saadhana
Chaatushtyam is attained only after sincerely fulfilling one's karmas,
which is going through karmakanda portion of the Veda.

ashish