your mail

Fri Apr 12 11:12:32 CDT 2002

On Fri, 12 Apr 2002, Ravisankar S. Mayavaram wrote:

> Besides, I am willing to help you (to the extent I know -- which is
> very little), if you send me your specific questions. I am not sure
> such a discussion will be of great interest to advaita-L. We can do it
> on ambaa-L.

I don't know, I for one would be interested.  Please crosspost if you
discuss there.

[...]

> There is an excellent audio rendering of lalita sahasranaama by one
> M.S.Sheela -- I am sure you are aware of it. Besides there few other.
> There is VERY important one -- that is an audio rendering by kAnchi
> Acharya shrii jayendra sarasvati svamigaL. (side note: Swamiji is
> clearly of the view that lalita sahasranama can be chanted only by
> those who are initiated to shrii vidya [based on phala shruti] or baala
> tripurasundari mantra (based on daxinamurti samhita]. But he is OK with
> people listening to it despite the fact phala shruti says that it
> should be kept as a secret [may be artha vaada])

Lalita Sahasranama is part of Brahmanda Purana which is a "public" work.
Perhaps it is only the esoteric meaning which is secret.  That's what Shri
Bhaskararaya  says about Chandi Patha which as part of the Markandeya
Purana is in the same class.