Study of Vedas

Ravisankar S. Mayavaram miinalochanii at YAHOO.COM
Thu Apr 11 18:43:58 CDT 2002

--- Vaidya Sundaram <Vaidya_sundaram at HOTMAIL.COM> wrote:
> namaskaram.

Dear Vaidya:

The essence of the above words I wrote is not mine -- but it is from
iishavaasya upanishad "avidyaya mRtyum tiirtvaa vidyayaa
amRtamashnute". That particular sequence of verses stress the
importance of simultaneous practice of karma and upaasana (probably
bhakti and meditation on deities would be a better phrase).

Yes, they do not lead one to ultimate liberation. And probably
amRtattva may mean leading to brahma loka. Ideally it prepares one for
undertaking jnAna marga.

iishvaasya upanishad is a very brief text, but in my opinion, it is
extremely difficult understand. I have read shankara bhaashya (which I
like) and the one by raghavendra (dvaita.org)-- probably many months
ago. Our tradition, states verse 1 and 3-8 are applicable to a
sannyAsin who has the necessary qualifications to attain j~nAna. Rest
is for ignorant masses like me, who has NO choice but do karma. It also
presents a balanced approach between betweem karma and bhakti.

I should admit that I only cursorily understand the text, which is
almost same as not understanding it.

The same idea that *practise* of karma kaaNDa of veda-s with the right
attitude prepares one for undertaking study of upanishads and leads to
jnaana --  is something I recently read in "Introduction to Upanishads"
by Swami VidyaraNya (which comes with book on taittiriya upanishad
translation by Alladi mahaadeva shaastri). One thing I observed while
reading that introduction is -- many of the points in there has been
discussed in some context or other in advaita-L. Such a repeated
exposure to these ideas, enabled me to understand that text (to some
extent).

--
On a side note -- the inability to do one's svadharma and duty
enjoined, makes the jiiva to speak lofty ideals. Which is best

The best approach for those who are confused, is learn to do paripuurNa
sharanaagati bhagavan and ask him to teach. There is a verse in
shivaanandalaharii " tvat paadambujam archyaami paramam tvaam
chintayaami anvaham tvaam iisham sharaNam vrajaami vachasaa tvam eva
yaache vibho vixaam me disha saaxushiim sakaruNaam divyaiH chiram
prartitaam sambho loka guro saukhyopadesham kuru" -- this I think as my
plea to Lord to teach me the right thing to do. I believe it will work.
For a while I prayed to Lord with this verse, to overcome a confusion.
He came to me in form for kAnchi paramacharya in a dream and solved my
problem.  Later, in another dream he came in form a teacher and did a
elabortate fire ceremony, and told me that he will teach me veda-s. I
am not planning to let go of that verse. Even within the framework of
advaita-vedanta, I see no superior way than sharaNagati. sharaNagti to
bhagavan will lead one to the right teacher (who is not different from
him) and paripuurNa sharaNagati to one's aacharya will lead one to
jnAna. Advaita stresses the latter (that is sharaNagati to one's
aacharya) and assumes the former as something which people should know
by default. And this sharaNagati is best exemplified by following the
commands one's teacher.

=====
ambaaL daasan

Ravi

sharaNAgata raxakI nivEyani sadA ninnu nammiti mInAxI

http://www.ambaa.org/  http://www.advaita-vedanta.org