Shankaracharya on Ramana Maharshi

hbdave hbd at DDIT.ERNET.IN
Mon Apr 8 05:19:12 CDT 2002

Vidyasankar wrote:

> >> I was reading http://www.wie.org/j14/daya.asp
> >> where Andrew Cohen says:
> >>

> >Sorry, that should be Craig Hamilton. The interview was by Andrew Cohen.
> >
> >> "Even one of the living Shankaracharyas -- the head of one of the four
> >> monastic institutions allegedly established by Advaita's founder,
> >> Shankara -- also denies the validity of Ramana's attainment, apparently
> >> for the simple reason that someone who wasn't formally trained in
> Vedanta
> >> couldn't possibly be fully enlightened!"
> >>
> >> Does anyone know which Shankaracharya denies this about RM?

The general tone of the article shows what it is, so why give importance to
it? The paragraph about the discussions sessions where "room overflowed"
shows what is in the mind of the writer.

As far as Swami Dayananda, who is mentioned in the article, is concerned,
I doubt very much if he expressed his views the way reported. I can tell from

the answers that he gave (in my presence) for some questions raised by a
sadhaka, that he could not have held the views reported. No traditional
Advaita teacher in his right mind would represent what is attributed to
"a living  Shankaracharya".

I think we should ignore such articles. After so much of ink and paper
is wasted, there are people who still confuse between Knowledge (big K)
and knowledge gained from books.

--  Himanshu