Shankara and Tantra

hbdave hbd at DDIT.ERNET.IN
Thu Apr 4 01:06:00 CST 2002

Legend says that when Bhagatpada went to Kashmir, while on tour of
India,
he fell seriously ill and found that he had no strength in his limbs.
The
milk-maid who used to delivery milk to him told him :
"you are rejecting Maya, the Shakti of Brahma, how can you have
strength?" and she gave him a bowl of curds (dahi) and he became well
again. Then he composed Anandalahari and Saumdaryalahari, which
are considered authorative texts in Tantra.

As far as I know, Bhagavan Bhasyakara has not given any direct views
on RigVeda Samhita text. If any list member knows about any such
comment, I shall be obliged for details or reference.

Also, in the introduction to my  recent series of postings on "Advaita :

Some Basic Explanations" it was stated that Advaita means to realize
oneness of Maya and Brahman.  I was surprised that there was no
response (positive or negative) from the list members  [frankly, I was
expecting a few brickbats :-) ]

"Advaita philosophy itself is like Brahman - every other philosophy
gets absorbed in it."

-- Himanshu