Samdhya Meditation and Agnihotra

Aniruddhan ani at EE.WASHINGTON.EDU
Wed Oct 31 12:33:36 CST 2001

namaste,

>Most people combine the morning and noon sandhya-s these days.

Do you mean most people perform the madhyannikam immediately after the
morning sandhya vandanam in the morning itself? or combine the two, and do
just one sandhya vandanam in the morning?

>  Also
>there is a period in which (even if it is delayed) it is OK to do
>sandhya vandananam with prAyashchittam. Even if that period lapses, one
>has to do even though one may not get the desired purification out of
>it.

I have a question regarding this: I live in seattle where due to the
lattitude, during the 6 months of winter (after daylight savings time is
over), the sun sets at around 4:30-5pm in the evenings. Therefore its very
difficult to perform the evening sandhya on time (before/during sunset). Do
any of the other list members have a similar problem and if so, how do they
take care of this?

On a lighter note:

Usually, seattle weather is such that even at 12pm in the afternoon, you
cannot see the sun on most of the days in winter, and the whole day looks
like dawn-time. During madhyannika, when we have to look at the sun (through
the special mudra of the hands), you can see only the cloudy/rainy sky. So
if you live in the seattle area or in similar weather conditions, I don't
think there is any harm done in performing the madhyannika in the morning
itself. :-)

Sruti smRti purANAnAm Alayam karuNAlayam
namAmi bhagavatpAda Sam.karam lokaSam.karam

Aniruddhan