Words Maya and nirguNa

Shrisha Rao shrao at NYX.NET
Wed Jul 25 11:09:34 CDT 2001

On Mon, 23 Jul 2001, Vidyasankar wrote:

(quote from Sadananda)

> >Yesteday Shreeman S.M.S. Chari mentioned in his lectures that the
> >word Maya and nirguNa each one occurs only ones in the upanishat -

He's wrong, at least if his own tradition be believed.  There is also the
verse:

  anAdimAyayA supto yadA jIvaH prabuddhyate  |
  ajamanidramasvapnaM advaitaM buddhyate tadA  ||

This is considered to be a kArikA of Gaudapada according to modern Advaita
tradition, and the citation of the same by Shankara in his BSBh. is
perhaps ambivalent.  However, Ramanuja himself quotes the first hemistich
as Shruti (`jIvasyaiva hi mAyayA nirodhaH shrUyate').

> If we are to look at only the 12 major texts (aitareya, ISa, kaTha,
> taittirIya, bRhadAraNyaka, chAndogya, kena, praSna, muNDaka, mANDUkya,
> kaushItakI and SvetASvatara) -
>
> nirguNa occurs in the last text, in sAkshI cetA kevalo nirguNaSca,
> and mAyA in mAyAM tu prakRtim vidyAt .
>
> If I remember right, praSna should also have the word mAyA somewhere.

`teshhAmasau virajo brahmaloko na yeshhu jihmamanR^itaM na mAyA cheti'
(1.16).

The mahAnArAyaNa has it as `tAn.h yaj~nasya mAyayA sarvAn.h avayajAmahe'.

> Have to check on it. And bRhadAraNyaka has indro mAyAbhiH puruRupa
> Iyate - mAyA is here, in the instrumental case.

That is a quoted Rk; there are many others where mAyA is used; e.g.,
`indro mahAM sindhuM AshayAnaM mAyAvinaM vR^itraM asphuranniH' (2.11.09).
`pra mAyAbhir.h mAyinA bhUtamatra nArA nR^itU janiman.h yaj~niyAnAm.h'
(6.63.05).

Regards,

Shrisha Rao