Avadhoota & Paramahamsa (fwd)

Wed Aug 15 23:14:29 CDT 2001

On Wed, 15 Aug 2001, Ashish Chandra wrote:

> I disagree a little Jaldhar. You have already read the Jivanmuktiviveka. In
> it you will find that even though Rishi Yajnavalkya had already attained
> jnana, he still took vidvat sannyasa. You will notice how Sri Vidyaranya
> describes this i.e. why should a jnani take vidvat sannyasa at all. I will
> look up the reference and post tomorrow but you can look it up if you like.

Looking at the Jivanamuktiviveka again, I did make one error in my
presentation.  Even the paramahamsa might only be a vividisha not a
vidvan.  In other words, all jivanamuktas are paramahamsas but all
paramahamsas are not necessarily jivanamuktas (yet.)

I think I know which reference you are talking about.  Please post so we
can discuss it.