Avadhoota & Paramahamsa (fwd)

Ravishankar Venkatraman sunlike at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Aug 14 15:00:49 CDT 2001

By this definition then, we cannot call Sri Ramakrishna Paramahansa, a
Paramahansa. He was married and was never a Sanyasi. I see this word being
used for sanyasis who were jivanmuktas also. But, they may not have
relinquished everything (as in the case of head of mutts). I think that has
been used with Sri Ramakrishna who was a jivanmukta also the same way. Can
it not be used for any jivanmukta as opposed to a jivanmukta with a
particular life style?

There is an interesting episode about the meeting of Avadut Dattatreya and
Gorakshanath, a great Siddha and the perfect one in nath sect. Siddha
Gorakshanath, while roaming, reached the Girnar mountain, a favorite abode
of Lord Dattatreya. Gorakshanath was hungry and he sent his zoli(begging bag
made of cloth) to get some food by invoking his siddhis. As he was ready to
eat the food, a resplendent youth appeared before him. Gorakshanath offered
him food, but this youth politely refused to take food saying that it was
brought by yogic powers.

Gorakshanath was bewildered about the stature of the person standing before
him, and Dattatreya gave him milk from his kamandalu, which quenched
Gorakshanath's hunger as well as thirst. While Gorakshanath asked the youth
to drink the rest of the milk, the youth said that he was never hungry nor
thirsty and that he was nothing.

Gorakshanath could not know who this person was in spite of all his yogic
powers and he suggested that they play hide and seek. Gorakshanath hides
three times and he could no escape Lord Dattatreya's eyes. But when the
youth in disguise hides, Gorakshanath could not find him anywhere in this
universe and he concedes defeat.

Gorakshanath understood that this must be Lord Dattatreya and asked him
where He was hiding. Lord Dattatreya said, 'I did not go anywhere. I was in
front of you and was totally immersed in Para Brahman. There was not a
single atom in this universe where I was not present. The power in you
searching me was also me. So how and why can I seek I?'
Gorakshanath admitted in his monumental book "Siddha Siddhanta Paddhati"
that it is impossible to describe the state of  Avadhuta.

This is a story I am quoting from 'A Glimpse of Divinity: Shri Swami
Samarth", by Mukund Hanumante.

Thanks,
Ravi