vAksavitrI ! vidyA.m shuddhA.m bhuddhi.m satvara.m cha dehimahyam (fwd)

Sat Sep 30 02:07:37 CDT 2000

>This ' vaak savitri ' shloka is the composition of the 33rd pontiff of
Sringeri
>samsthaanam, H.H.Sri Sri Sri Sachchidaananda shivaabhinava nrisimha
bhaarathi
>swamiji. There are eight verses in it as it is an ashtakam.

For those interested, the collection of Slokas composed by the Acharya are
available in one volume, titled Bhakti Sudha Tarangini, published by the
Vani Vilas Press, Srirangam. The language is simple to understand, and yet
carries great beauty of expression. Various forms can be seen there, e.g
antAdi - where the next verse begins with the same syllable as the ending
one of the previous verse, aksharamAlA - where the first syllable of each
verse can be collected to make a short mantra, or are based on existing
mantras like the SrIvidyA mantra or dakshiNAmUrti mantra.

This particular kamalajadayitA hymn is particularly appropriate at this
time of the Sarada Navaratri festival. It builds into it tattvas mentioned
in mAnasollAsa, sureSvarAcArya's commentary on the dakshiNAmUrti stotram.
There, the kuNDalinI is identified with vAk-savitrI and sarasvatI, and
essentially corresponds to the "parA-vAk", the foundation of the paSyantI,
madhyamA and vaikharI levels of speech. From the kuNDalinI yoga point of
view, dhyAna on sarasvatI is equivalent to that on Siva-Sakti-aikya,
because the throat is the bhAratI-sthAna, and also the place where the
nADIs representing Siva and Sakti are said to meet. dhyAna on the Goddess
of Learning is also equivalent to the salutation to the Guru.

Vidyasankar

--
bhava shankara deshikame sharaNam

Help     : Email to listmaster at lists.advaita-vedanta.org