digvijaya

Ravisankar S. Mayavaram msr at COMCO.COM
Fri Sep 29 12:20:12 CDT 2000

I referred the book (Tapasyananda, RK Math) which I have.

Canto 16
Verses 93-99
Page 193

"At Badari, he spent some days, teaching his Advaita commentary
on the sutras to some followers of Patanjali school ..."

Of course sa.mskR^ita.m text will probably reveal if svAmi
tapasyAnanda has translated the verse incorrectly or not.

In any case, Ashish, there is an ambiguity in "suutra-s" itself.
He could have told them, guys don't waste your time on
yoga-suutra-s it will take you nowhere, I will teach my
commentary on brahma suutra-s. Or He could have taught them his
commentary on yoga-suutra-s. To me latter seems likely. As a side
note, some attribute the work yoga-tAravaLi to sha.nkara as
well. Anyway when I get time and if I happen to at UT library, I
will look at the Sanskrit text. But it will not be in the near
future. May be someone else can step in and help.

Ravi

--
bhava shankara deshikame sharaNam

Help     : Email to listmaster at lists.advaita-vedanta.org