mithyAjnAna - in Relation to BSB

Thu Sep 28 18:23:29 CDT 2000

>But after not knowing X ,  knowing X as simething other than X,  say as Y,
>is misapprehension.  Now we have already have misapprehension or
>mithyAjnAna or false knowledge.  False knowledge is an error or adhyaasa
>since it involves satya asatya mithuniikaranam- knowledge of the existent
>object and mixing of non-existent object, Y, on top of the existent object,
>X.  Now statement that mithyaajnaana is the upadana for adhyaasa is like
>saying adhyaasa is upadaana for adhyaasa - That seems to be a circular
>definition unless I am missing something here.

1. In this particular instance, upaadaana does not mean a "material" thing
like the Samkhyan prakRti. It simply means, mithyaajnaana is the "stuff" of
which adhyaasa is made. Even in material cases, it is so. Thus, in the
example of the gold ring which can be melted into a lump and then reformed
into a ring, is the ring the upaadaana of the lump or is the lump the
upaadaana of the ring? It can work both ways. One might say, neither, and
say that it is the gold that is upaadaana, but then the gold always has to
exist in some particular form, does it not? So, in one sense, it would be
like saying gold is the upaadaana of gold, which is again circular. One
can't escape from this - it is as impossible as trying to do away with
identity statements of any sort. adhyaasa is born from adhyaasa and adhyaasa
gives rise to adhyaasa. Note that this is why avidyA is also said to be
beginningless (anAdi).

2. One must be careful to remember that according to BSB, this adhyaasa is
not one-way, but it is mutual (itaretara). It is not just that one knows
some X as Y (misapprehension of the object), but one also knows oneself as
something other than one's real self (misapprehension of the subject).
Because this is inherently self-referential, the discussion of adhyaasa and
mithyaajnaana should be seen more as a description (involving tautology)
than as a rigid definition.

Vidyasankar

--
bhava shankara deshikame sharaNam