New member introduction: Satish Arigela

Ravisankar S. Mayavaram miinalochanii at YAHOO.COM
Wed Sep 20 16:12:15 CDT 2000

Satish wrotre
>  namaste ,
>
>  I am a masters student.
>  The reason for being attracted towards advaita is that
> some time back i used to think that advaita has
> something to do with shaivism.Now that misconception is
> cleared.I am also interested in shrii vidyaa. Since
> advaita bhaavam is essential for shrii vidyaa i thought
> of learning vedanta. So, as one of the efforts for the
> same ,i joined this list.

Satish,

Welcome. More than the confusion between advaita-vedAnta and shaivam,
the confusion that aiyar-s (tamil smArta brahamana-s) are shaiva-s is
more prevalent. In this regard I would like to direct you to an
excellent 20-part series posted by Dr. S. Marur titled "Sankara
Sampradhayam". If you search the Escribe archives with this title you
will get all the articles.

http://www.escribe.com/religion/advaita/

(May be we should compile this and keep it in our advaita-vedanta
site).

Also,  on the contrary, I was told that SrividyopAsana has some links
to kashmir shaiva tradition. It should be noted, however, that kashmir
shaivam is quite close to advaita-vedAnta unlike the shaiva-sidhhanta
which is dvaitic.

=====
ambaaL daasan
Ravi