New member introduction: Sri Chaitanya Bhagavat

Gummuluru Murthy gmurthy at MORGAN.UCS.MUN.CA
Thu Sep 7 07:57:52 CDT 2000

On Thu, 7 Sep 2000, Chaitanya Bhagavat wrote:

> Thanks to Shri Vyas and Shri Murthy for welcoming me to this list.
>
> Gummuluru Murthy wrote:
>

> >Now this struggle is with who and with what? Is this not an internal
> >struggle with the six great enemies of kAma, krodha, lobha, moha, mada
> >and mAtsarya? This is the struggle that has to be won.
> >

> Shri Vyas has already answered some of the issues you raised. I also found a
> recent (Aug 30) post by Shri Hudli on how modern "truth seekers" trivialize
> Advaita into a mental and a verbal game.

namaste shri Chaitanya,

Please do not take my posts as indicating that I am counter-advocating
against your well-judged 'choice of path'. Your words of wisdom echo
very well and I salute you for it and there is a lot to learn from you.
I also find shri Hudli's article to be a wise advice for people drifting
of in all directions. I follow the same sAdhanA that you and shri Hudli
so eloquently presented.

My comment is: should one get rattled by these alternate 'paths' of the
so-called new-age gurus? Yes, we see the danger of following those
directions. But, where is our sAdhana when we get upset at a new-age
guru when he/she says 'just be' or some other preyah path? sAdhana is
for betterment of ourselves so that we do not succomb to the six great
enemies which I mentioned in my earlier post.  By getting angry and
intolerant of such activities, are we not becoming prey to our own
anger and passion, thereby exhibiting to ourselves that our sAdhana
is not complete?

In any case, this is only a minor point in your letter of introduction.
Let us not dwell on this anymore and get to more serious discussion of
the essence of advaita as taught by shri shankara.

my praNAms to all.

> Best regards,
>
> Chaitanya

Regards